Thursday, March 8, 2012

Step X Step: Yesterday's Hero

Towards the end of last year I was asked if I would like to illustrate the cover for the sequel to "No Hero" by Jonathan Wood.  Some of you may remember that I did the cover to that novel as well.  I enjoyed the first one tremendously, so of course I jumped at the chance.

For the art brief I basically got an outline of the book along with a list of new characters, which was extensive.  Included was a willingness from the A.D. and the author to continue the movie poster theme from the first cover.  Whereas with the first cover I went in with the idea of doing a sort of spoof on 80's action movie posters, on this one I wanted to try and do more of a straight take, and pay homage to Drew Struzan.  These are the thumbnail sketches I came up with, which are basically a montage of all the coolest stuff from the book, including many faces both new and familiar.

The client decided they liked the composition on the bottom left best, so I moved on to a tighter sketch

I got an enthusiastic thumbs up from the A.D. and moved onto the final

Approval went quickly and I find myself hoping Jonathan gets the chance to right a third chapter in the adventures of Arthur Wallace and the rest of MI37.

1 comment:

Adrian Majkrzak said...

Really impressive Erik! This one especially caught my eye a few posts back. It's great to see the process, thanks for sharing!